www.italianews.org - L'agenzia internazionale di comunicazione e giornalismo

Egypt bus crash: 38 killed as two buses collide near Sharm El-Sheikh
Two tourist buses crashed in a head-on collision in Sinai Peninsula, 31 miles from the Sharm El-Sheik resorts

ROMA (Italy) - At least 38 people have been killed and 26 injured after two buses carrying foreign nationals collided on a road in Egypt’s Sinai province. Egypt’s state news agency Mena quoted local health ministry official Mohamed Lashin as saying that Russian, Yemeni and Saudi Arabian citizens were among those injured in the collision, but later reports suggest the passengers thought to be Russian were in fact Ukrainian.

The crash happened in the early hours of Friday morning around 31 miles from the popular holiday destination Sharm El-Sheik. One of the vehicles is believed to have overturned in the crash, and Mr Lashin warned that the death toll could rise as bodies were still being lifted from the wreckage, Reuters news agency reported.


Some passengers were left in a critical condition and have been transferred to two hospitals in the area after 30 ambulances arrived at the scene, while the local motorway was closed off. Mena reported that one of the buses was heading from Sharm El-Sheikh to Cairo when it hit a bus coming in the opposite direction from the Nile Delta province. Egypt’s roads and its safety records are notoriously poor, and at least 26 people were killed when a train crashed into a minibus and other vehicles south of Cairo in November 2013 alone, and Egyptians have long complained that successive governments have failed to enforce basic safeguards, which lead to fatal crashes.

At least 38 people died and dozens were injured when two buses collided before dawn on Friday in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, the state news agency and security sources reported. The Middle East News Agency quoted local health ministry official Mohamed Lashin as saying that Russian, Yemeni and Saudi Arabian citizens were among the more than 40 people injured. Lashin said that the injured were being transferred to two hospitals in the area.Forty-one people were injured, with some sustaining fractured skulls, said Khaled Abu Hashem, a local emergency services official. Twenty-two were receiving treatment in Sharm el-Sheikh hospital, including four people in the intensive care unit, said another emergency health official, Mohammed Sultan.

Two Saudis were among the dead, while four foreigners – a 20-year-old Ukrainian woman, a Yemeni man and a Saudi woman and child – were injured.The tourism minister, Hisham Zaazoue, said the vehicles were not tourist buses and belonged to transportation companies, the state news agency Mena reported. The cause of the accident was not yet known. About 13,000 people were killed on Egypt's road last year. Friday's accident was the deadliest since November 2012, when a train crashed into a bus carrying children to nursery, killing more than 50 people.

He said bodies were still being lifted from the wreckage so the death toll could rise. The buses were traveling in the southern part of the Sinai, one of them from the Red Sea resort city of Sharm el-Sheikh and the other from a Nile Delta province, security sources said. Egypt's roads and railways have a poor safety record and Egyptians have long complained that successive governments have failed to enforce even basic safeguards, leading to frequent, deadly crashes. (Redazione)


Riproduzione non consentita ©


Brindisi Indagine epidemiologica

Ferrari F14T
Alonso - Raikkonen


Giornata della
Memoria 2014


Emirates nuovi
collegamenti aerei

Le destinazioni top
viaggi del 2014

Pensioni: i requisiti
per 2014 e successivi